HPE SimpliVity Tier-1 Applications
Run Better on HPE SimpliVity OmniCube
HPE SimpliVity’s OmniCube hyperconverged infrastructure is the perfect solution to host virtualized tier-1 applications.
Gone are the days when virtualization was an academic exercise, relegated to test and development labs. Now, virtualization is the standard.
According to research conducted by Vanson Bourne, IT organizations, on average, expect 59% of their server workloads to be virtualized. Gartner supports this by stating, “almost two-thirds of x86 architecture workloads have been virtualized on servers”. Wikibon takes it one step further. Wikibon’s survey found that “server virtualization … is continuing to grow from 69% of servers virtualized today to an expected 84% in eighteen months’ time.”
Tier-1 Applications: The Last Frontier
Historically, IT organizations were hesitant to virtualize Oracle databases, SAP clusters, or large Microsoft Exchange environments for fear of performance degradation. The business was left with a paradox: How to reduce cost while maintaining or increasing performance, availability, protection and efficiency?
You want the benefits of virtualization: Reduced cost, increased efficiency, faster deployment times, faster provisioning, automated resource optimization, dynamic scale-out and scale-in by consumption, and data center consolidation. But at the same time, you want to maintain the performance, reliability and security available in physical servers and SANs.
The move from mostly physical to mostly-virtualized applications is also significant as you embark on your journey to the private could. A private cloud includes three core attributes:
- Automation, orchestration and self-provisioning of IT resources across the organization.
- Elastic infrastructure: Grow up, out or in based on consumption.
- A business model supporting #1 and #2.
Cloud enables the quick provisioning of IT resources, including server compute, memory, storage, application services, data protection services, etc., from a centralized pool of resources, automated and orchestrated around the needs of the business. Cloud computing is fundamentally a new way of thinking about the delivery of IT services.
Virtualizing Tier-1 Applications
According to CIO.com, “Virtualizing tier-1 applications is critical to the success of a private cloud. To deliver the most value, the private cloud must encompass the majority of workloads already in use and reduce the number of fragmented resource silos that lie outside the cloud. This allows organizations to take advantage of the economies of scale for optimal infrastructure efficiency. In addition, many of the advanced features of the cloud that transform applications from static entities into dynamic IT services will be the most value to mission-critical, complex applications.”
Virtualized tier-1 applications now trigger a shift in focus to IT infrastructure. For your current environment:
- Are your legacy server and storage technologies designed for virtual workloads?
- Will your current technology support the promise of virtualization for cost effectiveness and efficiency while also maximizing performance?
- Does your current infrastructure provide VM-centric management and mobility?
- Is your current infrastructure managed from a single pane of glass in conjunction with you virtual applications? Or are they managed via many different screens?
- Does your current infrastructure include integrated data protection (the critical backup and disaster recovery services that tier-1 applications require)?
- Does your current infrastructure deduplicate, compress and optimize all writes inline, at inception, once and forever to maximize data efficiency and reserve critical CPU and memory resources for the highly-demanding virtualized applications?
- Is there a better way?
Hyperconverged Infrastructure for Tier-1 Applications
HPE SimpliVity’s revolutionary hyperconverged infrastructure platform, OmniCube, offers a better approach.
HPE SimpliVity’s OmniCube is the industry’s first and only globally federated and hyperconverged infrastructure solution. Designed and optimized for virtualized environments, OmniCube is a 2U rack-mounted building block that delivers server, storage, and networking services. In addition, a complete set of advanced functionality enables dramatic improvements to the management, protection, and performance of virtual workloads—all at a fraction of the cost and extreme reduction in complexity compared to today’s traditional infrastructure stack.
The Data Virtualization Platform—a foundational technology within OmniCube—deduplicates, compresses, and optimizes all data, in line, at inception, and once and forever across all stages of the data lifecycle. It delivers the data efficiency virtualized applications require, in terms of storage and bandwidth capacity savings and maximizing performance, by reserving critical CPU and memory resources for the applications themselves.
HPE SimpliVity’s OmniCube is the perfect solution to host virtualized tier-1 applications.