HPE SimpliVity OmniCube CN-1000
Globally-Federated, HyperConverged Infrastructure
HPE SimpliVity’s OmniCube CN-1000 supports smaller environments, like yours. OmniCube CN-1000 systems support a broad set of customers and market. Some of the compelling use cases include:
- all-in-one IT modernization projects for a wide set of applications
- data center virtualization for small businesses
- remote office and branch office infrastructure
- multi-site central management projects
- backup and disaster recovery redesign initiatives
- public, private and hybrid cloud computing infrastructure
- and more
Small and medium-sized companies and enterprise remote offices may not have the scale and complexity of larger IT environments. However, with OmniCube CN-1000, you can improve performance, increase resource utilization, and streamline operations to increase your agility. Hyperconverged infrastructure is a great fit and radically simplifies your management costs, regardless of the number of virtual machines you have to support.
Hyperconverged infrastructure combines server compute, storage, network switching, and VMware hypervisor technology with data efficiency features, integrated data protection, cloud gateway, and unified global management. By aggregating compute, storage and network assets into homogenous resource pools, your organization reaps the rewards of dynamic management, automated provisioning and simplified scalability.
- OmniCube Features
A 30-second, flash summary of OmniCube’s features
- OmniCube Demo in 9 minutes
Jesse St. Laurent takes a look at Deduplication, Compression, and Reducing IOPS, VMworld 2013
- OmniCube Overview: Kill the Clutter Monster!
Learn how OmniCube drastically simplifies and reduces IT infrastructure
OmniCube CN-1000 Hyperconverged Solution Overview
Each OmniCube CN-1000 is a 2U building block based on commodity x86 systems. Clustering two or more OmniCubes provides simple and efficient expansion in a scale-out manner. What could be an easier solution for deploying in remote sites or small businesses? Two or more OmniCubes create an elastic and infinitely scalable pool of shared resources known as a federation.
OmniCube CN-1000 systems combine CPU, memory, storage (SSD, flash and HDD), networking, and hypervisor capabilities in a powerful hyperconverged building block. Federated OmniCube systems provide tremendous agility for adding resources in an incremental and integrated fashion. Importantly, an OmniCube Federation of geographically-dispersed OmniCube systems enables disaster recovery, business continuity, migrations, and data sharing within and across sites.
HPE SimpliVity OmniCube systems go beyond integration of server, storage, and network switch technology. By incorporating unique features such as global namespace for centralized management of geographically distributed storage, built-in virtual machine backup, as well as global inline deduplication, compression, and optimization, OmniCube can permanently and optimally store data at inception. OmniCube CN-1000’s data efficiency features reduce IOPS—since only unique writes generate IOPS. Further, OmniCube reduces required storage capacity for primary, backup, and archive data, as well as WAN traffic. You also benefit from the ability to run the OmniCube Cloud data center on Amazon Web Services (AWS) as a low-cost target for off-site backup copies. Your small or medium-sized business benefits from OmniCube’s integration, broad scope of functionality, and simple management.
Manage OmniCube centrally from within VMware vCenter. It eliminates all interfaces, management complexity, and other components, including SANs, standalone storage, remote replication, data protection, and more. By combining powerful capabilities in a scalable IT building block and leveraging the pool of resources, HPE SimpliVity provides dramatic improvements in economics, IT simplification, and operational efficiency when compared to legacy solutions.
Who Use It:
OmniCube CN-1000 for Small and Medium Businesses
Typically, you would start with two OmniCube CN-1000 building blocks, adding OmniCube CN-1000 units as requirements call for additional resources. Run all of your IT applications, including email, databases, file servers, office automation, and collaboration applications on the OmniCube CN-1000 infrastructure.
OmniCube CN-1000 for Remote Offices
A typical installation for remote office scenarios involves the deployment of OmniCube CN-3000 building blocks at your hub data center, and one or more OmniCube CN-1000 units at your remote or branch offices. Managing all remote sites from the centralized VMware vCenter interface introduces greater operational efficiencies. This eliminates the need for any other user or management interface to administer the environment. Further, connecting third-party servers running virtual workloads to the OmniCube systems enables flexibility and agility.
Today’s data center infrastructure environment is a picture in complexity and clutter. It’s inefficient, costly, and inhibits IT from delivering the services and support required for virtualized business applications. Simplification is not easy with legacy, siloed infrastructure. That’s why a new approach is needed.
- Core Infrastructure Services: High availability, performance, and serviceability.
- Simplified, Extensive Scale-out: Scale one OmniCube at a time, on demand.
- Inline Efficiency: All data is deduplicated, compressed and optimized before being written to disk—without impacting performance.
- Bandwidth-efficient Replication: Efficient data transfer within and across OmniCube systems at local and remote sites—including the cloud.
- Integrated Data Protection: Easily and automatically back up and replicate VMs to deliver as few as 10-minute RPOs.
- VM-centric Management: All actions, policies, and management are on a per VM basis.
- Public Cloud Integration: Data can be moved to/from the public cloud.
- Cache-Accelerated Performance: Provides high-speed access to the data.
OmniCube: Changing the Game
HPE SimpliVity’s OmniCube is the industry’s first and only globally-federated and hyperconverged infrastructure solution. Designed and optimized for the virtual environment, OmniCube is a 2U rack-mounted building block that delivers server, storage, and networking services, as well as a complete set of advanced functionality that enables dramatic improvements to the management, protection, and performance of virtualized workloads—all at a fraction of the cost and extreme reduction in complexity compared to today’s traditional infrastructure stack.
CAPEX and OPEX Savings
By replacing the cluttered infrastructure stack, OmniCube delivers an equivalent level of functionality and protection, while significantly improving performance and efficiency. With OmniCube you’ll realize greater agility and easier scalability—at up to 3X TCO savings.
OmniCube is designed with the VMs running your business applications as the focal point of the IT infrastructure, managing policy at the VM level and enabling VM mobility. This empowers a single VM administrator to manage the infrastructure entirely through a familiar console—VMware vCenter.
The OmniCube Global Federation
Deploying two or more OmniCube systems creates an OmniCube global federation, a massively-scalable pool of shared resources that enables efficient data movement, extensive scalability, and enterprise-class system availability. OmniCube enables you to simultaneously improve operations, management, and data protection of your VM environment, while radically simplifying IT infrastructure.
The Technology: Attacking Complexity at its Roots
At the root of today’s infrastructure complexity problem is an antiquated data architecture that is not suited for today’s virtualized and cloud-integrated applications. OmniCube, powered by OmniStack, solves the data problem its Data Virtualization Platform.
OmniStack incorporates three breakthrough innovations:
- Hyperconvergence: A single software stack that combines multiple traditional IT infrastructure functions in a single shared x86 resource pool.
- Data Virtualization Platform: The core technology that performs inline data deduplication, compression and optimization on all data at inception, enabling data granularity of just 4 KB to 8 KB blocks. The Data Virtualization Platform is powered by the OmniCube Accelerator, HPE SimpliVity’s PCIe card that offloads compute-intensive tasks to deliver enterprise-class performance.
- Global Federated Management: The collective OmniCube systems form an intelligent network of collaborative systems managing billions of fine-grained data elements. It enables data movement and sharing in multi-node and multi-site environments, as well as global VM-centric management. A single administrator manages the entire global infrastructure through a single pane of glass.
The flexible architecture of OmniStack allows HPE SimpliVity to offer a range of OmniCube models that apply to a broad range of environments and use cases.
|Targeted Use-Case||Remote Office, Branch Office sites with up to 20 Virtual Machines. All workloads.|
|Raw Capacity||2 x 400GB SSD
4 x 1 TB HDD
|CPU||Single Intel E5-2650v2 CPU (2.6GHz ), 8 cores per socket|
|RAM Usable Capacity||50–82GB|
|Standard Ports||Dual 1GbE port RJ45 (Copper)
Dual 10GbE port SFP+ (fiber)
|Physical Dimensions||3.43” Height x 17.5” Width x 28.5” Depth|
|Weight||71.5 LBs (32.4 kg)|
|Power Supply||Dual Redundant 750W|
*Effective capacity varies by environment, and is a function of the realized deduplication and compression rates. The capacities mentioned above offer a conservative range based on compression and deduplication rates found in standard primary storage use cases.
** RAM Usable capacity represents estimated memory resources available to virtual applications.
Download the HPE SimpliVity OmniCube CN-1000 Series (PDF).