HPE SimpliVity OmniCube CN-5000
Globally-Federated, HyperConverged Infrastructure
HPE SimpliVity’s OmniCube CN-5000, with its high-performance system design, runs diverse workloads in a wide variety of environments. OmniCube CN-5000 is the only hyperconverged infrastructure platform with technology that uniquely addresses data efficiency and global management requirements in virtualized and cloud computing environments. Some of the compelling use cases include:
- all-in-one, IT modernization projects for high performance workloads
- high-performance, data center virtualization for businesses
- multi-site central management projects
- backup and disaster recovery redesign projects
- public, private, hybrid cloud infrastructure
- and more
- OmniCube Features
A 30-second, flash summary of OmniCube’s features
- OmniCube Demo in 9 minutes
Jesse St. Laurent takes a look at Deduplication, Compression, and Reducing IOPS, VMworld 2013
- OmniCube Overview: Kill the Clutter Monster!
Learn how OmniCube drastically simplifies and reduces IT infrastructure
OmniCube CN-5000 Hyperconverged Solution Overview
Each OmniCube CN-5000 is a 2U building block based on commodity x86 systems. Clustering two or more OmniCubes provides simple and efficient expansion in a scale-out manner to deliver increased performance, capacity, and high availability. What could be simpler for building high-performance, scale-out infrastructure for virtualized environments?
OmniCube CN-5000 systems give you the largest core count as well as SSD and HDD counts within the family of products. With the combination of CPU, memory, storage (SSD, flash, HDD), networking, and hypervisor capabilities in a powerful hyperconverged building block your most demanding virtualized workloads are met. The system, leveraging the Data Virtualization Platform, delivers the broadest scope of functionality in a powerful, x86 building block. Data efficiency features in OmniCube ensure that only unique writes occur, reducing IOPS and increasing performance. An OmniCube Federation of geographically-dispersed OmniCube systems enables disaster recovery, business continuity, migrations, and data sharing within and across sites. You manage the global Federation from a single interface, via vCenter.
OmniCube CN-5000 Deployment :
Typically, you would start with two OmniCube CN-5000 (4U) building blocks in a data center, adding incremental OmniCube CN-5000 (2U) units as requirements call for additional resources. Run all of your IT applications, including email, databases, file servers, office automation, and more on your OmniCube CN-5000 infrastructure.
For disaster recovery and off-site backup, deploy a third or fourth CN-5000 or CN-3000 in a remote site with active-active topologies running across data centers. Deploying a network of two or more OmniCubes creates a global federation that facilitates efficient data movement, resource sharing, and scalability. Management of the entire federation, within and across sites, happens from a single management interface.
For remote and branch office scenarios, deploy OmniCube CN-5000 systems at the hub data center and one or more CN-2000 systems at remote or branch offices. Dramatically increase operational efficiency by centrally managing all sites from a single, familiar management interface via VMware vCenter. This eliminates the need for other user or management interfaces to manage the environment. HPE SimpliVity also enables you to connect third-party servers running virtual workloads to the OmniCube federation for added flexibility and generational interoperability.
Today’s data center infrastructure environment is a picture in complexity and clutter. It’s inefficient, costly, and inhibits IT from delivering the services and support required for virtualized business applications. Simplification is not easy with legacy, siloed infrastructure. That’s why a new approach is needed.
- Core Infrastructure Services: High availability, performance, and serviceability.
- Simplified, Extensive Scale-out: Scale one OmniCube at a time, on demand.
- Inline Efficiency: All data is deduplicated, compressed and optimized before being written to disk—without impacting performance.
- Bandwidth-efficient Replication: Efficient data transfer within and across OmniCube systems at local and remote sites—including the cloud.
- Integrated Data Protection: Easily and automatically back up and replicate VMs to deliver as few as 10-minute RPOs.
- VM-centric Management: All actions, policies, and management are on a per VM basis.
- Public Cloud Integration: Data can be moved to/from the public cloud.
- Cache-Accelerated Performance: Provides high-speed access to the data.
OmniCube: Changing the Game
HPE SimpliVity’s OmniCube is the industry’s first and only globally-federated and hyperconverged infrastructure solution. Designed and optimized for the virtual environment, OmniCube is a 2U rack-mounted building block that delivers server, storage, and networking services, as well as a complete set of advanced functionality that enables dramatic improvements to the management, protection, and performance of virtualized workloads—all at a fraction of the cost and extreme reduction in complexity compared to today’s traditional infrastructure stack.
CAPEX and OPEX Savings
By replacing the cluttered infrastructure stack, OmniCube delivers an equivalent level of functionality and protection, while significantly improving performance and efficiency. With OmniCube you’ll realize greater agility and easier scalability—at up to 3X TCO savings.
OmniCube is designed with the VMs running your business applications as the focal point of the IT infrastructure, managing policy at the VM level and enabling VM mobility. This empowers a single VM administrator to manage the infrastructure entirely through a familiar console—VMware vCenter.
The OmniCube Global Federation
Deploying two or more OmniCube systems creates an OmniCube global federation, a massively-scalable pool of shared resources that enables efficient data movement, extensive scalability, and enterprise-class system availability. OmniCube enables you to simultaneously improve operations, management, and data protection of your VM environment, while radically simplifying IT infrastructure.
The Technology: Attacking Complexity at its Roots
At the root of today’s infrastructure complexity problem is an antiquated data architecture that is not suited for today’s virtualized and cloud-integrated applications. OmniCube, powered by OmniStack, solves the data problem its Data Virtualization Platform.
OmniStack incorporates three breakthrough innovations:
- Hyperconvergence: A single software stack that combines multiple traditional IT infrastructure functions in a single shared x86 resource pool.
- Data Virtualization Platform: The core technology that performs inline data deduplication, compression and optimization on all data at inception, enabling data granularity of just 4 KB to 8 KB blocks. The Data Virtualization Platform is powered by the OmniCube Accelerator, HPE SimpliVity’s PCIe card that offloads compute-intensive tasks to deliver enterprise-class performance.
- Global Federated Management: The collective OmniCube systems form an intelligent network of collaborative systems managing billions of fine-grained data elements. It enables data movement and sharing in multi-node and multi-site environments, as well as global VM-centric management. A single administrator manages the entire global infrastructure through a single pane of glass.
The flexible architecture of OmniStack allows HPE SimpliVity to offer a range of OmniCube models that apply to a broad range of environments and use cases.
|Targeted Use-Case||All workloads in small to medium environments, or remote offices.||Majority of workloads across a wide range of environments from smallest IT organizations to largest enterprises.||Ultra high-performance application workloads in the enterprise and cloud providers.|
|Raw Capacity||4 x 100 GB SSD
8 x 1 TB HDD
|4 x 400 GB or 800 GB SSD
8 x 3 TB HDD
|6 x 400 GB or 800 GB SSD
18 x 1.2TB HDD
|Effective Capacity||5 - 10 TB*||20 - 40 TB*||15 - 30 TB*|
|CPU||8 Cores||16 - 24 Cores||24 Cores|
|RAM Usable Capacity||71 - 199GB**||128GB - 412GB**||267GB - 395GB**|
|Standard Ports||2 X 10GbE (SFP+) 2 X 1GbE (RJ45)|
|Optional Ports||NA||2 X 10GbE and / or 2 X 1GbE||2 X 10GbE and / or 2 X 1GbE|
|Physical Dimensions|| Standard 2U Rack Mounted Chassis
3.43’’H x 17.5’’W x 28.5’’D (30.5” with bezel)
|Weight||71.5 LBs||71.5 LBs||65 LBs|
|Power Supply||Power 8-16 Core Units: 2 x 750W
Power 24 Core Units: 2 x 1100W
|Supply Voltage: 110/220VAC
Supply Voltage: 110/220VAC
|Frequency: 50/60 Hz
Frequency: 50/60 Hz
*Effective capacity varies by environment, and is a function of the realized deduplication and compression rates. The capacities mentioned above offer a conservative range based on compression and deduplication rates found in standard primary storage use cases.
** RAM Usable capacity represents estimated memory resources available to virtual applications.
Download the HPE SimpliVity OmniCube Family Datasheet (PDF).